Wednesday, April 9, 2014

what was your most important educational experience and why?

My most important educational experience is learning to ride a horse. i started ridding when i was five years old. It wasn't easy. people often say the hardest part of learning to ride a horse is the ground. Its true. I have fallen off, gotten bucked of and hit the ground more times then i can count. a lot of times with the horse landing on top of me or stepping on me. learning to ride taught me that even if you hit the ground you get up and dust your self off and keep going. this taught me to persevere through everything. When learning to ride a horse you have to build a trust between you and the horse, its a lot to ask. you have to trust something that cannot talk to you and has a mind of its own. you have to learn to communicate with the horse through your legs and the reins. i know how to understand my horse. we are able to know what the other one is trying to do. that's why we are successful in competition and working together.
My dad always told me growing up if your not broken, bleeding a lot or dying dust off and get back on. some people may view that as harsh to say to a child however hes right. it taught me to be tough. something you need to be if you are going to ride a horse. just because life trips you up, hurts you and things fall apart you get back on. Having horses growing up taught me to work extremely hard. i had to get up and feed every morning and evening and i didn't eat until after my animals did. I learned a strong work ethic early in life. I believe that that is why now i work so hard and never quit. Even though i have been ridding horses for almost 20 years I am still learning. I learn new skills every day. Every horse i ride teaches me something new. Ridding has taught me patients and great kindness. Horses are huge animals and you cannot force them into doing anything so you have to find a way to work with them. all of theses skills have come in to play in my life and been extremely helpful. I think that's why i have chosen to go to school and  become a nurse. i will always have horses and ride for the rest of my life. they bring me so much happiness. Its a calming thing for me. you never really stop learning to ride you just improve your skills more and more over the years. Its strange to think about it but its true. I can always become a better rider. There are so many things to learn when you learn to ride a horse. you must have no fear that is the first thing. Its hard no to be afraid when you are on top of a 1200 pound animal some times going 40 miles per hour. things can go wrong. they have for me. i have been trampled and crushed and drug down the arena but i always get back on My most important educational experience was larding to ride a horse because It has taught me many life lessons a skills. I started ridding when i was five years old. I learned to balance and trust the horse. it wasn't easy. people that  ride horse will tell you "the hardest part of ridding is the ground". Its true. I have been bucked of, fallen off and drug down the arena. a lot of time with the horse falling down on top of me of trampling me. but my dad always told me "if your not broken, bleeding a lot or dying dust off and get back on" Which i always did. Ridding a horse takes great patients and kindness. You have to also trust a huge 1200 pound animal that goes 40 miles per hour. Its hard to do. I have learned to communicate with my horse. this means i can tell her what to do with my legs and the reins. I also can understand her. She will try and tell me things. i have to observe her movements and her attitude and i can under stand.
Learning to ride changed me a lot. I think that having horses kept me out of trouble and gave me more to loose. I never wanted to be in trouble and not be able to ride. I think i would have easily gone down the wrong path if i didn't have my horses. The people i was hanging out with in Jr. high school were not the best. i had to make a choice keep hanging out with those friends or keep ridding my horses. i choose my horses. All three of those girls that were my best friends before i graduated high school had been to jail had at least one child and were doing a lot of drugs. I could have turned out a lot different then i am now. i have my horses and ridding to thank for that. This is why learning to ride is so important to me. i learned to ride but it also taught me how to be a better person. How to work hard, care about people and animals, have compassion, keep trying, and observea try again. In order to truly love ridding a horse you have to have a huge passion for it. Which i do.

2 comments:

  1. Very cool! Sounds like a great experience, I like your detail.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you touched on the life lessons that you took away from riding. Sounds like you will be a great nurse!

    ReplyDelete