TThe
hardest part of riding is the ground; this is something that I have been told
all my life. I found this to be true in my quest to learn to ride growing up. I
started ridding at 5 years old. Mostly I just wanted to be around the horses and
the people that go with them. However learning to ride and care for horses
has been the most important learning experience that I have ever had. Having
horses has taught me many life skills I use every day. Having to trust an
animal with your life is a difficult thing to do and learn. Ridding horse has
kept me on the right path throughout my childhood and teenage years. They have
given me a purpose. I will continue to learn from my horses for the rest of my
life.
Learning to ride horse has shaped me
into the person I am today. You never truly stop learning to ride. There are
always new techniques to learn or skills to perfect. I know that I will never
stop ridding. The people you meet along the way are like nothing you have ever experienced.
They are some lifelong friends that I could never replace. Ridding has become
my outlet. It allows me to think, to bond and to love without fear of judgment
or harshness. I wouldn’t trade my horses for anything.
When
started ridding when I was five years old, I fell off and hit the dirt many
times, sometimes with the horse landing on top of me or stepping on me. My dad
always told me if it isn't broke, you’re not bleeding badly or dying you dust
yourself off and get back on. Learning to ride takes a lot of balance and leg
muscles which, at five you don’t always have. So hitting the dirt was usually a
daily thing, I learned to tuck and roll quickly. My horse Sar would always stop
and look down at me like “Again! What are you doing do there”. Always getting
back on has taught me to never quit. You have to keep going and preserver not
matter what. It has showed me that even if life knocks you down you get back up
and keep going and try again.
Taking
care of horses is a lot of hard work. They are unable to care for themselves
and rely on you completely. I always had to feed them before I ate. That was a
rule in our house. When taking care of a horse that weighs 1000 pounds you tend
to get frustrated at times. I had a pony once that knocked me down to get the
food I had in my hand. He stepped all over me before my dad rescued me. That
pony didn’t last long at our house. Trying to get a horse to cooperate and work
with you and not just do what they want to do is hard at times. This taught me
compassion and hard work.
Caring
for another living thing is hard back breaking work at times however the
relationship you build and the love you get in return is irreplaceable. My
horse now Reba, I swear knows what I am thinking. I can go out to see her and
if I am having a bad day she knows. She will come and stand next to me and let
my cry on her shoulder never moving until I am ready to let go. This love and
trust is something every person could learn from. This has made me a very
caring and understanding person; I have taken these skills with me and will
continue to in my quest to become a nurse.
When
learning to ride you have to build an unspoken bond with your horse. They have
to trust you completely and you have to trust them completely. It takes a lot
to build this bond. You spend hours grooming them, feeding them, caring for
them when they are hurt. While doing this you are showing the animal that you
are the one that makes them feel good. The trust grows from there. It takes
years to understand your horse completely. A horse cannot talk to you so you
have to learn to communicate with your legs, the reins and verbal commands.
This is something that is different for every horse that you ride. You have to adapt
your skills to every horse specifically. Everyone is different and respond to
different things. Once you learn how to communicate and have a mutual trust
between you and the horse there is nothing you cannot accomplish.
Growing
up I had friends at school and friends that rode horses. I choose to ride my
horse and travel to compete. A lot of my school friends didn’t understand why I
wanted to be outside working so hard to take care of a “stinky” animal as they
put it. As I grew into my teenage years I had a lot to lose if I got into
trouble or didn’t keep my grades up. I would lose being able to ride my horses
and compete. If I got in trouble my sisters got to ride my horse and I had to
watch them compete, as everyone knows its torture to watch your siblings do
something you’re not allowed to do. This was my motivation to stay out of
trouble and get good grades. While I was trying to stay out of trouble and keep
my grades up my friends were not. They would simply get grounded. Then when
that was over they would do it again. I realized that theses “friends” were not
the people I needed in my life. I choose to stick with my horses. By the time
graduation rolled around I was the only one of my 5 “best friends” throughout
school that graduated from high school. I could have chosen a very different
path in my life but because of my horses. I think I have done pretty well for
myself so far.
No comments:
Post a Comment