1.
When I was five years old and still legally blind, I started school in a sight conservation class in the local public school on 135th street and Lenox Avenue. On the corner was a blue wooden booth where white women gave away free milk to black mothers with children. I used to long for some Hearst Free Milk Fund milk, in one of those cute little bottles with their red and white tops, but my mother never allowed me to have any, because she said it was for charity, which was bad and demeaning, and besides the milk was warm and might make me sick.
walking through the store I begged my mom for one of those little candies, wrapped in beautiful paper, My mom said no I could get sick from to much candy.
2. For our mother’s
souse*, it didn’t matter what kind of meat was used. You could have hearts, or beefends, or even
chicken backs and gizzards when we were really poor.
It never mattered what kind of fabric was used as long as you looked fabulous. Her clothes were made of cotton, silk and wool.
No comments:
Post a Comment